By Chef Tyler- ‘The cook Tyles’
Prep – 20 mins
Cook – 25 mins
2 cups (cooked rice)
- ½ cup soy sauce (low sodium preferably)
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar ( can use any other)
- 1 ½ tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ an avocado (sliced)
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 2 boiled eggs
- 1 cup broccoli florets (cut in quarters)
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms (cut into strips)
- 1 carrot (cut into strips)
- 2 chicken breasts (cut into cubes)
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup corn starch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. salt
1. For the sauce, mix all ingredients, except cornstarch with half of your water and bring to the boil.
2. Mix the other half of the water with cornstarch to form a slurry, then add it to the sauce. Cook it for 5 mins to allow the cornstarch to cook out.
3. Combine the dry and wet ingredients until they form a smooth batter. Toss your chicken in the batter and mix it until well coated.
4. Heat your oil to 180 ◦c and add your chicken. Fry until golden brown (4 mins on both sides) take out your chicken and toss it into your sauce.
5. Heat 1 tsp. of oil in a separate pan, add broccoli and stir fry it for 5 mins, then add carrots and mushroom. Cook for 5 additional minutes and season with a pinch of salt.
6. When serving, you can garnish your dish using sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
Originally published in the first Ndeipi Newsletter