By Dr. Olga Filippa Nel
7 Recipes from 7 Nonni
- She was born in Rusape.
- Her father was from Rome and her mother was from Carmignano, Toscana.
- She has two granddaughters.
- Her favorite dish is tortellini, con buro fuso.
- She does not drink.
- The “must have ” ingredients in her kitchen are olive oil, seasoning, pasta, rice.
GNOCCHI DI SEMOLINA
- 125gr semolina
- 2 eggs
- 125gr grated parmigiano (or similar)
- 60gr melted butter
- 70ml milk
- 1tsp salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Butter a large baking sheet and put it aside.
- Bring milk, salt, butter, nutmeg and a few grindings of pepper to the boil in a heavy medium sized saucepan over moderate heat.
- Add semolina gradually so that the milk never stops boiling, stirring, constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Continue cooking until semolina is thick and spoon can stand.
- Remove from heat and stir in eggs and 85gr of parmigiano.
- Speard semolina on greased sheet about half inch thick.
- Refrigerate for about half an hour until firm.
- Cut semolina mixture into rounds and place in a buttered oven dish.
- Sprinkle with parmigiano and melted butter and bake for 15 minutes until golden.
Image by Dr. Olga Filippa Nel