By B. Tom (Drive Zim Roadside Assistance)
Some drivers feel that because they have their hazard lights flashing they can park anywhere or face incoming vehicles. Hazard warning lights offer no excuse for illegal parking. Inconsiderate or illegal parking can cause problems for other drivers and pedestrians alike and can even delay emergency services getting to an emergency if cars are blocking their path. Rules on when to use hazard lights are clear.
Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except for emergency vehicles, stopped or slowed vehicles to indicate a traffic hazard, when travelling as part of a funeral procession, or travelling slower than 30 kmph.”
Unfortunately, many drivers still believe that they can drive however they want or park wherever they want as long as they flick on their hazards/flashers. Not only is this frustrating to other drivers and unlawful, but it’s also potentially dangerous. Therefore, unless you’re experiencing one of the following lawful hazard situations, hazards/flashers should never be used as a way to ,,, l, and the other is preemptively warn others of your reckless driving.
Lawful and safe use of hazards include:
• When you are loading or unloading passengers in a designated zone.
• When stopped by a police officer
• When you’re experiencing vehicle problems that prevent you from safely moving your vehicle
• During emergency situations that prevent you from safely exiting traffic (chest pains, dizziness, heart attack, labor, etc.)
• When your car breaks down in the middle of the road
• After a car accident (if you’re unable to move your car to the shoulder)
• During a funeral procession
• When warning cars behind you to slow down for a potential obstruction (car accident, landslide, fallen tree, etc.)
Using Your hazards/Flashers Correctly is a Bright Idea
Using your hazards as a way to get a closer parking space, bypass traffic laws, or make your own drop-off/pick-up zone isn’t a good idea. In fact, it could get you in serious trouble and seriously injured as well. Don’t risk the consequences—use your hazards properly to avoid a lifetime of regret.
Take the pledge to keep yourself and others safe on our roads. Always drive under the speed limit, and never drive while distracted, tired or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
*24/7 Roadside Assistance: Whenever, Wherever, We’ve Got You!*
Keeping your fleet or vehicle moving is a major concern whenever it comes to on-road transportation. Therefore, choosing a suitable emergency roadside assistance service is crucial to reduce downtime.
Our uninterrupted roadside assistance service gives you the freedom to drive anywhere at any time, without worrying about breakdowns.