2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
¾ cup water
For added flavour add a pinch of dried herbs and pepper to taste, however you can go without
Finely chopped onions, tomatoes, red peppers, yellow peppers, green peppers, cucumbers, fresh chillies, fresh garlic, fresh coriander, fresh basil, salt and pepper to taste. (add and remove ingredients as you wish to make your own signature salsa).
Because there’s so much going on with the salsa it is a simple one, avocado, lemon juice, touch of garlic salt and black pepper and mixed together to form a slightly chunk consistency.
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together, then rub in the butter with your hands until the texture is similar to that of breadcrumbs.
2. Add water and mix to form a dough.
3. Separate the dough into equal pieces and shape into small balls (approx. 12).
4. On a floured surface with a floured roller, roll out each dough piece into flat tortilla circles and set aside until you are ready to cook.
5. Place the tortillas one at a time on a flat surface skillet, monitor the bubbles and aim for a golden brown and its ready to flip over, use a medium to high heat.
6. If you would like hard shell tacos, deep fry the tortillas, use tongs to hold them in shape for approx 10-15 seconds and by then it should hold its shape.
7. For plating dive into the fridge and fish out some meaty leftovers (you can also stir fry any taco filler of your choice, well seasoned) place your meat (or hearty vegetables of choice into your taco shell, soft or deep fried, top with cheese, salsa, guacamole and finish with cream cheese or natural yoghurt. Enjoy!
Images provided by Giacomo