By Milena Pinto
800g super blade
2 bay leaves
1 or 2 tablespoons paprika
100ml white wine
50ml olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
300g fresh peas
1 or 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
Salt and pepper to taste
1. The day before, cut the meat in cubes, marinade with salt, black pepper, bay leaves, paprika and white wine. Leave to rest overnight.
2. The following day, drain meat from the marinade and put aside (you will need the marinade in the final stages).
3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, fry meat in the olive oil until browned (not cooked). Remove meat from heat and reserve. Chop the onion and the garlic and fry in the same olive oil until lightly cooked.
4. Peel the carrots, cut them in cubes and add to the onion and garlic as well as the tomato puree. Cook for about 3 minutes, add the meat.
5. Cook for a further 5 to 10 minutes then add the marinade that was reserved from the meat. Cover saucepan with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes. Add the fresh peas and cook another 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
The above dish may be accompanied by mashed potato or white rice. The perfect authentic Portuguese dish to have on a chilly night.
Images provided by Raquel Pinto