Recipe by Rutendo, inspired by Curtis Stone
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15mins Total cook time: 1hr 15mins
- 4 large potatoes (thoroughly washed. Pat dry with a paper towel or clean tea towel).
- ¼ cup melted butter (I prefer salted butter but, you can substitute with margarine).
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed garlic also works).
- ¼ cup sour cream (if you are not a fan you can substitute with low fat plain yoghurt).
- ¼ cup freshly chopped chives.
- 2 green onions chopped (we all know I prefer the sweetness of the red onion).
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese (personally I prefer Parmesan cheese but any cheese
- 6 slices crispy bacon (if you do not eat pork no worries, substitute with meat of choice
or leave it out).
- 1 avocado sliced then cubed (I have a deep love for these babies. These are optional).
- Salt and black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 150°.
- Prick potatoes all over with a fork or sharp knife.
- Melt the butter in the microwave with the two crushed garlic cloves and brush the
potatoes with the melted butter.
- Tightly wrap the potatoes in foil and bake for 1 hour.
- After an hour unwrap potatoes and cut lengthwise slits on the top of each potato.
Carefully scoop out flesh from the center of each potato into a medium bowl.
- Add some of the remaining butter, chives, green onions, half the cheddar and
Parmesan and half of the bacon diced to the potato flesh. Season with salt and pepper
- Spoon filling back into each potato, mounding it on top. Sprinkle with remaining
cheese and return to the oven until melted, about 5mins. Top with the onion greens
and remaining bacon (I add the remaining sour cream and avocado. This is a personal
- Can be served as the main meal or side dish. Which ever way you look at it, this
potato is jam packed with flavour. Enjoy!