By Christine Mitchell
600 grams beef mince
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
¼ cup chopped fresh herbs (chives, parsley, basil and oreganum, is what I use)
1 small onion finely diced
1 tablespoon paprika
Throw all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together with your hands until all the ingredients are blended with the mince evenly. Roll your meatballs all the same size, I use just under ¼ cup, put them all on a tray and into the fridge for 30 minutes at least before cooking.
2 cans of tomatoes
1 large onion diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
¼ cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oreganum and thyme)
1 splash of balsamic vinegar
2 splashes of white wine or a juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
¼ cup of grated mozzarella for the top
1. Fry your onions, garlic and tomatoes all together and add your herbs and wine. I let it simmer for about 20 minutes and then blitz it. Let it cool a little before blitzing.
2. Preheat your oven to 160°C.
3. Brown your meat balls and put them in a heat proof dish that can bake in the oven.
4. Pour your sauce over your meatballs and make sure they are all covered.
5. Sprinkle your cheese over the top and put them in the oven.
6. Cook for 1 hour and then grill the top for 5 minutes.
Serves really well with a good mash potatoes or pasta.
*Leftovers, sliced up are really good on ciabatta for lunch the next day
Image provided by Christine Mitchell