By Chef Rumbie
1kg wholegrain pasta
1 head fancy green lettuce (roughly chopped)
1 English cucumber (cut into ½ cm thick slices)
3 tablespoons of toasted pumpkin seeds
3 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
1 punnet French green beans (cut into halves)
1 Spanish onion (char fried until crispy)
1 punnet sugar snap
3 slices brown bread (toasted into croutons)
1 green pepper (sliced)
1 yellow pepper (sliced)
1 punnet mushroom (fried until cooked and seasoned with salt and pepper)
¼ red cabbage (thinly sliced)
1 punnet mixed vegetable sprouts
1 punnet edible flowers
2 cups balsamic vinegar
¼ cup pure honey
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic (freshly grated)
- Cook the pasta until it’s still slightly chewy, rinse it over cold running water to stop it from continuing to cook.
- In a pot steam for 3mins the sugar snap, French green beans, yellow and green pepper then rinse under cold running water once again.
- Add the steamed vegetables to pasta, along with the cooled pre cooked mushroom, the charred onion, cucumber, freshly shredded cabbage, sprouts, ½ the toasted seeds and thoroughly toss together.
- Display in your desired salad bowl, tuck in toasted croutons, sprinkle the other half of the seeds, and in no particular order throw around the edible flowers.
- In a saucepan, add all the dressing ingredients and cook until reduced to about ¾ and cool down before dressing the salad. Dress partially just before service.
- If you are making this on the day before you serve it, place a kitchen towel over your undressed salad and only add croutons just before serving. Then cling wrap and refrigerate with the kitchen towel over the salad bowl.
- It is important to make sure all your pre cooked vegetables are room temperature cold. Adding precooked chicken breast/ shredded steak/ crumbed fish/ bacon rashers is always an option.
Images by Chef Rumbie
Originally published in the 116th Issue of Ndeipi Magazine