By Rutendo Makubika
Almost every home cook, including myself is scared of baking because of the flops that we endure from time to time. What I’ve learnt is that you always learn from your mistakes to produce fluffy and mouthwatering baked good. This recipe is easy to follow and clear and they will come out perfect.
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2tbsp mixed herbs (or herbs of choice)
- ½ cup chopped ham or crispy fried bacon
- ½ cup green peppers, diced
For the savoury ingredients, feel free to use whatever is in your pantry. That’s the beauty of this recipe.
- 4 cups self raising flour
- 1tsp salt
- 250g butter or margarine
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Cube the butter or margarine and rub in with the dry ingredients until the mixture forms a crumb like texture. (Make sure your butter or margarine is at room temperature)
- Beat the eggs and milk together
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and mix in the egg mixture to form a firm dough. Do not over mix as the dough will become tough and produce dry scones. To avoid overworking I use a knife to combine the ingredients.
- Roll out the mixture onto a floured surface, knead lightly and cut out with a cookie cutter. I use a cup on most occasions and the scones come out fine.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes depending on your oven. I use a gas oven so 10 minutes does it for me.
Enjoy with a nice cup of tea!