Zimbabwe Pesto Recipe
• 1 cup of chopped basil
• 1 cup of mixed herbs, I use parsley, rocket and mint. I like the depth of flavor you get when you add different herbs to it.
• 2 cloves of garlic
• ¼ cup of cheese, I never use parmesan its too expensive in Zim. My preferred cheese is Kefalos kefalatorri but you can use mozzarella, cheddar or gouda, when using these cheeses you have to just add more salt to the mixture .
• ¼ cup nuts, I use either cashew or macadamia.
• ¼ cup of olive oil or olive oil blend
• ¼ cup lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
Throw it all in a blender and blitz away. You may need to add more oil depending on what blender you use. FYI a hand blender works too.
When storing it in your container or jar drizzle oil over the top so that it keeps for longer.
*This is great to use in pastas, on crackers. As a dip if you mix it with some cream cheese and you can even make a delicious salad dressing by adding some vinegar and honey to it.*
Image by Christine Mitchell